ATM Fraud – Keep Safe At The ATM:
Unfortunately, ATM fraud is a reality in South Africa and criminals come up with the most ingenious ways to scam us out of our hard-earned money. Getting scammed is not a pleasant experience and will just add more stress to our finances.
Today there are many ways to do financial transactions via a mobile device or over the internet, with a debit or stop orders. Not all South Africans have access to the internet, mobile devices, data can be expensive and some consumers do not trust the new technology yet and prefer to handle cash. If you have to withdraw money from an ATM, apply these safety tips on your next visit to the ATM.
How To Keep Safe At The ATM:
- Have a look at the ATM first, make sure it has not been tampered with if you see something out of the ordinary then just walk away.
- If your card does not insert smoothly into the machine do not force it something might wrong walk away.
- Be watchful and avoid using the ATM where suspicious-looking individuals are loitering.
- Do not leave your card in the ATM machine – If your card is swallowed then before you leave the ATM contact the number on the ATM or your bank to cancel the card.
- Shield the ATM keypad with your hand to prevent people seeing when you enter your PIN.
- Do not ask for or offer help to anyone at an ATM. If some ask you for help tell them that it is best they go to their branch and ask for assistance from the bank staff.
- Do not give your pin code to anyone, not even a bank employee or the police.
- When visiting an ATM late at night only make use of one that is in a shop or mall. If you have no other option then take someone with you. Make sure the area is well-lit and that other people are around.
- Banks offer a notification service to let you know of any activity on your bank account. Subscribe to this service with your bank, you will be notified whenever a withdraw happens on your account.
What To Do If You Been Scammed:
Contact your bank to cancel your bank card.
- Standard Bank – 0800 020 600 | From overseas +27 11 299 4114
- Capitec Bank – 0860 1020 43 | From overseas +27 21 941 1377
- ABSA – 0860 557 557
- FNB – 0800 110 132 | +From overseas +27 11 369 1189
- Nedbank – +27 80 011 0929
Open a case at the local police station.